On April 3, 1856, George C. Shattuck arrived at his country home in Concord, N.H., where he set out to educate his sons in a setting of natural beauty. Before long, Shattuck had organized a Board of Trustees, which appointed its first Rector, Henry Augustus Coit. The original governance structure established by the School’s founder more than a century and a half ago endures.
Trustees are elected to three-year terms and may be re-elected to two subsequent three-year terms, according to the By-Laws of the Trustees of St. Paul’s School. Alumni trustee elections are administered by the SPS Alumni Association, while parent trustee elections are conducted by the SPS Parents Association.
The Board and the Rector are supported by a team of senior administrators, who work together in the best interests of the School.