The Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul
Fondly known as the New Chapel, The Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul, built in 1886, is the figurative and literal center of life at St. Paul’s School. With its soaring tower and Gothic profile, the building is arguably the most recognizable on campus and a hub for spiritual life, social activity and more.
The original design and building was by Henry Vaughn, a pupil of the English church builder George Frederick Bodley, and represents one of the earliest church buildings in America in the Gothic style. The Chapel was consecrated on June 5, 1888, by Bishop Niles of New Hampshire and the tower, from Vaughn’s original design, was added in 1894 as a memorial to Mary Bowman Coit, wife of the first Rector, the Reverend Dr. Henry Augustus Coit. A recumbent funeral effigy of Dr. Coit was added to the sanctuary in 1898.